Town of Purcellville Value Engineering and Partnering Services
Client: Town of Purcellville
Location: Purcellville, Virginia
Services: Value Engineering, Partnering Facilitation
Keville Enterprises, Inc. performed a variety of task order services for the Town of Purcellville, Virginia in support of their ongoing capital program. Keville's first task was to perform a Value Engineering Study of the Basham Simms Wastewater Facility Upgrade and Expansion Project. The Basham Simms Wastewater Facility (BSWF) is an existing plant which was opened in 2002 and serves the Town of Purcellville, Virginia. The plant improvements increased the facility's efficiency in order to meet new regulatory requirements and increased the facility's capacity from 1.0 mgd (million gallons per day) to 1.5 mgd. Future regulations will require the BSWF to achieve a higher level of nutrient removal, which will be accomplished by including a membrane bioreactor (MBR) in the facility's biological treatment process. The upgrade plant improvements include the following elements:
• MBR facilities and accompanying elements to complete nutrient removal
• an expansion and upgrade of the in-place influent pump station
• hydraulic improvements to the coarse screening structure and primary clarifiers
• the addition of primary sludge pumping
• flow equalization improvements
• the conversion of existing secondary clarifiers to serve as recycle equalization or digested sludge storage tanks
• new solids building & de-watering facilities
• expansion to control building
• new maintenance facility
The Value Engineering Team provided recommendations concerning the planning and construction processes of the BSWF expansion project. The recommendations included the evaluation of overall project cost, increase the efficiency of construction activities, assess construction contractor risk and work with the A/E and the Town of Purcellville to identify construction cost savings.
Keville was subsequently requested by the Town of Purcellville to facilitate the partnering sessions with the stakeholders of the BSWF project. The services provided included the evaluation of overall project cost, an evaluation of how to increase the efficiency of construction activities, an assessment of construction contractor risk, and working with the A/E and the Town of Purcellville to identify construction cost savings.